Document Actions

Voluntary Guardianship

An adult (person at least 18 years of age) who wants assistance with management of his or her affairs may file a petition with the Probate Court in the county where he or she is living. Additional information about voluntary guardianship is available from the local Probate Court.

NOTE: Under Vermont law, voluntary guardianship is not permitted for individuals who are diagnosed as being mentally ill or mentally retarded. This is because procedures for voluntary guardianships were commonly misused in the past for individuals with mental disabilities. Any guardianship for an individual with a mental illness or mental retardation must follow the procedures for involuntary guardianship.